- You encourage a lot of positive self image on your social media. How did you achieve that for yourself?
– Thank you for this question on such an important and relevant topic for girls in their teens and 20s. The answer is I am still achieving my own positive self image every single day. There are still days when I wake up and think “WHY can’t i be the girl who can eat junk all day and be skinny”, which is so silly because our bodies are so precious and such a gift and we should be eating right anyways. The problem with body image/ self image is it is usually rooted from comparison and things we have seen on social media and are unrealistic. Yes some girls really are blessed genetically and have lean legs and a six pack but majority of the time its the angle, the edits, and their hard work to get that body. I try and count my own blessings and use my self as motivation and just trying to do whats healthiest for me, and if that leaves me not “picture perfect” so be it, as long as you are being healthy then you should be confident in your self/ body image.
- Dealing with negative people can be hard, (especially if you have a big social media platform like you do!) How do you handle negative people and comments?
-Yes, people can be so mean and forget that you are just human. I don’t get too much negativity because i don’t have to much of a following but i see people with a million followers get the worst comments and things written about them on the internet and i always wonder how i would handle myself. I just have to realize those who comment rude things A) don’t know me personally B) are probably not happy in their own life and C) WHO CARES because if it makes me happy then that is all that matters. No one is ever going to agree with you 100% of the time. I have had the biggest struggle with this, I want everyone to like me because I really do care so much and I don’t understand when someone is rude to me. My husband had to tell me nicely that “Ken, there are ALWAYS always always, going to be people who disagree with you, or don’t like you and a lot of times its for no reason other than the fact that they can disagree or not like you if they want to”. I just try and wash out the negativity with more positivity and go about my life, because if you dwell on all the negativity it will eat you alive. I am now confident enough in myself that I know I am a good person and if people wanna bring me down then saying untrue/mean things about me isn’t going to affect me anymore.
- On your Instagram and blog you have talked about gratitude and finding joy in life, how did you accomplish that mindset?
-This question just reminds me so much of my faith. Having a relationship with Jesus is what gives me joy in life, and that is really the only way I can describe it. I can be thankful and full of gratitude daily, because Jesus is always good and there is so much goodness he brings me. It is almost silly to dwell on the negative things that take place. Of course i have bad days, but ever since I accepted Jesus, I can always find good in a situation, or know that sunshine is right around the corner.
- You promote healthy eating and lifestyle, what are some workout tips or health tips you have?
-I love to workout but still have the BIGGEST sweet tooth. I have recently added a nutritional system in my diet that allows me to have a chocolate OR vanilla protein shake in the morning and this has helped me sweet tooth a lot. I am trying really hard to stick to a diet of protein shakes, acai bowls/smoothies and fruit, and lots of chicken and veggies. However I love pasta, ben & Jerry’s, and taco bell and still let myself indulge 🙂 Then I have cleanse days to reset myself. I feel that moderation is KEY. For working out, I almost NEED to run 5 times a week to make my mindset right (about 25-30 min). I have been trying to add in 25 minutes of a circuit for different parts of the body after I run but I am just not a weights girl. I like plyometrics and HIIT cardio so much more then just lifting lots of weights so that is kind of what my days at the gym look like! My tip is to find an activity you love that keeps you physical 3-4 times a week, whether thats a bike ride, rock climbing, or swimming, find something that clicks and make that your go to.
- You are always so positive! What are some things that help you maintain a positive attitude?
-Life is way too short to not be positive. I am only on Earth for so long and I just want to be a light and bring some happiness in a dark world. I have a lot to be thankful for and having a husband like Zac makes it easy to be positive (he is the King of chill and happy). All in all you have the choice when it comes to your attitude so why choose the negative when being positive is just as easy to attain.
follow Kendall on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/kendy.du
XOXO, Mykel Elizabeth